Your health begins with your gut! In Western medicine we are not taught the importance of good gut health, yet it is at the root of your overall health. In Eastern medicine, this is commonly acknowledged and this is where they begin whether you are going in for emotional, neurological or physical reasons.
We have an entire ecosystem within us that works in harmony to keep us looking good, feeling good, healthy and strong. We have an estimated one hundred trillion bacteria in our gut! There are more bacteria in our gastrointestinal track than cells in our body, by about ten to one. There are about 400-1000 different species in our GI track and they weigh about four pounds. Wow! It is sometimes referred to as our “second brain” where 90% of our serotonin and 50% of our dopamine is made.
There are both good and bad microflora. When the good outweigh the bad we experience balance and harmony. These friendly creatures strengthen our immune system, and help the body defend against the fungus, yeast, viruses and pathogenic bacteria that cause disease. When the bad outweigh the good, we experience symptoms of imbalance in our body. It may surprise you to know that most of us are walking around with some type of gut imbalance at any given time in our life. It is therefore important to take care of our gut, by populating it with friendly bacteria and giving them an environment where they can thrive!
Benefits of an optimized gut:
• Strong immune system
• Detoxify well
• Manufacturing of B vitamins and Vitamin K2
• Proper digestion and absorption of nutrients
• Wards off depression and anxiety
• Optimal weight
Are you out of balance? Some signs of imbalance are:
• Digestive issues common in IBS, bloating, belching, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, bad breath, abdominal pain, indigestion
• Lactose intolerance
• Food allergies and sensitivities
• Chronic fatigue
• Joint pain
• Yeast infections
• Lowered libido
• Mental fog
• Sugar cravings (including alcohol, pasta, breads)
• Weight gain
• Skin problems such as acne or hives
• Nail fungi
• Hyperactivity; learning and behavioral disorders
What you can do about it!
• Eat fermented foods such as Sauerkraut or Kimchi. Make sure they are Raw and NOT Pasteurized! (Pasteurization kills the good bacteria we want)
• Take a probiotic supplement. Look for ones that are 20 billion cfu or more and contain multiple strains.
• Drink probiotic beverages like coconut water kefir
• Avoid sugars and processed foods AND eat plenty of leafy greens and vegetables
Julie McMahon, Founder/Owner of Sound Nutrition, is a Certified Holistic Health Coach and Raw Food Nutrition Educator who is passionate about Nutrition, Health and Wellness. Julie believes in the power of whole foods to create optimal health and maximum energy flow and works with her clients in a step by step approach to achieve their personal vision of health. For more information, or to schedule a free nutrition consultation, visit www.mysoundnutrition.com or call NutritionJulie at 612-270-9344.