Details for Social Media Intern
Insight News, Minnesota’s largest ethnic newspaper, is a free, weekly publication that is distributed in the Twin Cities and its surrounding suburbs. The publication was founded 43 years ago by Al McFarlane who believed then and who believes now that our stories –stories of people of color, stories about community and stories about arts and culture—are presented best when they come from our voices.
Insight News is powered by a small group of forward-thinking staff, freelance writers and photographers. We look for team members who are self-starters, who have an interest in promoting community life through
We are looking to enhance the reader experience across our channels by providing a beautiful and bold newspaper, presenting a user-friendly website and offering engaging social media . To make these enhancements we are looking for a few people with a fresh, bold approach to publishing and design.
The Position: Graphic Artist Intern
The scope of this work will include newspaper design and web/social media design.
We are offering a paid internship which could lead to part-time engagement with the company.
The Graphics Intern’s Mission: To develop and implement proactive creative assets that will support the editorial mission of Insight News both in print and on-line.
We are looking for a commitment of 10 hours/week for 12 weeks. Compensation DOE.
Scope of work:
• Find and edit graphics, such as photographs or illustrations
• Correct photos for print and online publishing
• Add updates to website as needed
• Position artwork and text on the page layout
• Select formatting properties, such as text size, column width, and spacing
• Check proofs, or preliminary layouts, for errors and make corrections
• Finalize formatted documents for printing or electronic publication
• Create ads for newspaper and social media platforms
Adobe Creative Cloud Photoshop InDesign Illustrator Wordpress
Skills & Abilities
• Excellent attention to detail with strong organizational and time management/prioritization skills.
• Ability to distinguish good layout/typography, apply color theory, hierarchy and balance.
• Great communication skills, enjoys teamwork, and thrives in a collaborative project environment with ongoing deadlines.
• Excellent follow-up skills with the ability to multi-task. Ability to function independently with little direction.
• Must be self-motivated.
• Ability to thrive and work constructively in a fast paced, deadline driven environment. Able to work occasional after-hours in order to meet deadlines.
• Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
• Strong understanding and knowledge of print processes, including: 4 color process printing, spot color printing and various printing techniques.
• Ability to troubleshoot, and possess the initiative find the information needed to get the job
The Position: Social Media Intern We’re looking for a bold, witty, out-of-the-box self-starter to help us build our social media presence. If you’re social media obsessed, enthusiastic about connecting with people, and have a unique and contextual understanding of cutting edge marketing tactics - we’re looking for you! The Social Media Intern’s Mission: Create meaningful, timely and culturally-specific content that conveys the Insight News editorial mission of information, instruction and inspiration.
· Build meaningful connections through digital correspondence: Own customer-engagement aspect of social platforms and e-mail
· Create, implement and monitor influencer campaigns. What does that mean? We don’t know, that’s why we need a social media intern.
· Collaborate with Managing Editor and Graphics Intern: developing social campaigns, giveaways, events, etc.
· Proactive and professional communication skills
· Entrepreneurial approach and can-do attitude
· Excellent with time-management and follow-up
· Ability to absorb feedback and take direction
· Familiarity with social media and mobile applications usage.
· Ability to work independently, following rules and procedures.
· Self-Starter with great problem solving skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Result driven with “can do” attitude”.
· Positive, Persistent, Hands on, energetic, organized, and team player.
Location: Our office is located in Minneapolis. Hours are 10am – 2pm, Monday – Wednesday.