Festivities will include:
• An opening ceremony hosted by WCCO-TV anchor Reg Chapman, including a Kwanzaa overview and the lighting of the Kinara candles.
• "Wake-Up" jazz music by Barbara LaSeur
• Storytelling with Nathando Zulu and the Black Story Tellers Alliance
• A performance by Voice of Culture African Drum and Dance Co.
• Traditional Kwanzaa and holiday songs by jazz musician Thomisina
• Children's activities and prizes
• Kwanzaa trivia with prizes for everyone
This event is free and open to the public.
Kwanzaa is a celebration of family, community and culture. It is an African American and Pan-African holiday that is celebrated worldwide December 26 through January 1. The celebration originates from the first harvest celebrations in Africa. Kwanzaa is derived from the phrase "matunda ya kwanza" which is Swahili for "first fruits."
Midtown Global Market - Central Plaza is located at 920 East Lake Street, Minneapolis.
Up to three hours of free parking in ramp on 10th Avenue on the east side of the Market. More info: www.midtownglobalmarket.org, 612-872-4041.