At the Expo, people will learn how to:
• Pack the perfect gear bag: The Breast Cancer 3-Day becomes a home away from home, and participants must pack for three days in one bag that cannot weigh more than 35 pounds! Coaches will be available to discuss what should be included and what can be left at home.
• Care for a blister: Even with training, blisters happen. During this workshop, participants will learn how to deal with a blister before, during and after it happens.
• Set up a tent: Participants set up their own tents, where they sleep during the Breast Cancer 3-Day. This workshop will provide tips on quick and easy tent set-up.
• Learn unique fundraising tips: From selling calendars to pickles, participants have raised money in unique ways. Coaches will discuss things like how to ask for donations, arrange a fundraiser, and share stories with the media.
• Meet fellow walkers, crew, staff and volunteers: Whether someone is looking for teammates or friends, this is a great opportunity to meet others in the Breast Cancer 3-Day community.
Taking place in 15 cities nationwide, the Breast Cancer 3-Day is a three day, 60-mile walk that provides an opportunity to educate tens of thousands of people about breast health, including the importance of early detection. Breast Cancer 3-Day participants commit to raising a minimum of $2,300 and walking an average of 20 miles a day during each three-day event.
Proceeds from the Breast Cancer 3-Day are used for breast cancer research, education, and community outreach programs. As the primary beneficiary of the Breast Cancer 3-Day, Susan G. Komen for the Cure receives 85 percent of net proceeds and the remaining 15 percent goes to the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund. Please visit www.The3Day.org, or call 1-800-996-3DAY for more information.
The 2009 Breast Cancer 3-Day Series includes events in Boston (July 24-26), Cleveland (July 31-August 2), Chicago (August 7-9), Michigan (August 14-16), Twin Cities, Minn. (August 21-23), Denver (August 28-30), Seattle (September 11-13), San Francisco Bay Area (October 2-4), Washington D.C. (October 9-11), Philadelphia (October 16-18), Atlanta (October 23-25), Tampa Bay, Fla. (October 30-November 1), Dallas/Ft. Worth (November 6-8), Arizona (November 13-15), and San Diego (November 20-22).