The five points of the star that marks Wal-Mart’s new stellar initiative to provide its customers with healthier and more affordable food choices were announced Jan 20, at THEARC in Southeast Washington DC in the presence of First Lady Michelle Obama.
1. Reformulating thousands of everyday packaged food items by 2015: Reduce sodium by 25% and added sugars by 10%, and remove all remaining industrially produced trans fats.
2. Making healthier choices more affordable:, Will be done through a variety of sourcing, pricing, transportation and logistical initiatives that will drive unnecessary costs out of the supply chain. Also the price premium on key ‘better-for-you’ items, such as reduced sodium, sugar or fat products will be eliminated
3. Developing strong criteria for a simple front-of-package seal: This will help consumers instantly identify truly healthier food options such as whole grain cereal, whole wheat pasta or unsweetened canned fruit
4. Providing solutions to address food deserts: Sores will be built in underserved communities that are in need of fresh and affordable groceries
5. Increasing charitable support for nutrition programs: Consumers will be educated about healthier food solutions and choices.